- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 5 days, 18 hours ago by BC.
February 19, 2018 at 1:51 pm #668S. Baichoo, M. Heenaye- Mamode Khan, N. Pavaday. P. Bissessur, N. Boodoo- Jahangeer, N.Purmah, R. Monique
In this digital era, everything is connected and accessed remotely. Mauritius has long been using traditional methods of security such as username and passwords. Since there was a rise in the number of identity frauds, there was an urgent need to introduce the biometric system, which involves the analysis of human biological, physical and behavioural characteristics. This is a modern approach which can be used to achieve smart mobility and smart living. In 2013, the Mauritian Government had decided to introduce the National Biometric Identity card, where billions of rupees were spent for the collection of data and then the implementation of the biometrics cards. The latter has suffered a number of contestations and as per court judgment is now being used only as a verification system, similar to the previous plastic card based system. Clearly to reap benefits of the investment made on biometric technology and also to promote adoption of the smart concept, there is an urgent need to review the existing infrastructure and legislations based on inconsistencies revealed by the court.
– Understand the loopholes and attacks that can occur in biometric security system and develop a framework to countermeasure these issues
– Understand and identify weaknesses in the existing Mauritian law that hinders the adoption of biometric systems. Amend existing laws to protect the privacy of individuals and to cater for weaknesses in existing law.
– Propose solution to potential threats identified as well as those that can occur at a later stage.
– Any secure system relies on a fool proof authentication system
– New systems will therefore be possible such as adoption of the hyped blockchain technology.
– Enabling the welfare state through delivery of required services to the designated person (Example: Pension, Transport system, Medical system, Insurance etc..)
– Smart Living
– Implementation and usage of e- services