The advent of social media has affected teenage lifestyles the most. Teens spend hours on phone, texting, talking or simply playing. Those addicted to the internet tend to have fewer friends and a less active social life.Addiction to cyberspace also cuts short their physical activities, resulting in an unhealthy and sedentary lifestyle. It also has a negative impact on their academic performance.
• Help your kids to focus more on their studies by stressing on the importance of education
• Do not say ‘NO’ to internet. This will make them more adamant and will lead to rebellion. Instead, guide them to use internet for the right reasons, for example for school projects
• Guide your kids in all matters, do not impose
• Introduce your kids to social activities, make them interact with others (NGOs, less fortunate kids..)
• Have family activities that will make them want to spend less time at the computer.